The cornerstone of the Administration Building was blessed in 1915.
Coach Andy Yosinoff is the winningest coach in NCAA D-III Women's Basketball history.
Emmanuel College was the first women's Catholic college in New England.
President John F. Kennedy—then a US Representative from the Eleventh Congressional District of Massachusetts—gave the 1949 Commencement Address.
Alumni currently live across six continents in 68 different countries around the world, from Bolivia and Zimbabwe to Switzerland and Singapore.
Two Emmanuels (and one Emmanuelle) have graduated from Emmanuel since 1923.
In the 2000s, there were so many feral cats in the Fenway that Emmanuel faculty, staff and students built houses in the campus gardens for them and volunteered to shelter them indoors in winter.
327 Barbaras have attended Emmanuel College since 1919.
Commuter students protested the College dress code in 1969, wearing pants to classes during icy winter weather, winning the right for all students to wear pants on campus for the first time.
Alumna Edna "Rita" Murphy Wischmeyer '43 served as a Women's Airforce Service Pilot (WASP) during WWII, earning a Congressional Gold Medal in 2009 for her service.
The first Emmanuel Student Government Association was convened in 1946.
The College Charter was passed on April 14, 1921.
Four Emmanuel alumnae have been named Miss Massachusetts and competed for the national title of Miss America, including the first-ever Miss MA of color, Gabriela Taveras '17.
Seniors wore robes to class daily through the Class of 1963. For several years afterwards, seniors could opt to wear robes for classes and paired their robes with stocks—high sheer white collars—for special events throughout the year.
Sr. Wilfred's garden and a baseball field were once where the Cardinal Cushing Library stands now.
Patricia Mary (Finnegan) Collins '52 was the wife of Mike Collins, one of the three astronauts of Apollo 11. He manned the spaceship while Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the moon.
Emmanuel College opened its first graduate school in 1926.
Emmanuel students referred to themselves as "Emmas" during the College's time as an all-female institution.
The College's beloved campus St. Bernard, Emma was born on October 16, 2017.
As of 1/1/19, there are 19,089 living Emmanuel College alumni.
When Emmanuel College first opened its doors in 1919 as a day college, it shared its building with the Boston Academy of the Notre Dame, a private girls primary and secondary school.
Halo the St. Bernard was chosen as the College mascot in 2004.
The College's expansion from 1949-1968—which saw the addition of nine new buildings to campus—was dubbed "Emmanuel of Tomorrow." Buildings included five residence halls and the Cardinal Cushing Library.
Built in 1958, Julie Hall was sold to Beth Israel Hospital during financial challenges in 1974, repurchased in 2002, demolished in 2016 and replaced in 2018 with a stunning new residence hall.
Emmanuel College President Sr. Janet Eisner, SNDdeN led the establishment of the Colleges of the Fenway consortium in 1996.
Emmanuel College hosted the nationally-televised Democratic Presidential Primary Forum on Women's Issues in 1984.
The College's first coed class arrived on campus in September 2001.
In 2009, Emmanuel College partnered with the City of Boston to restore Roberto Clemente Field, giving the Saints a stunning new home field on Boston's Emerald Necklace.
Journalist and alumna Mary McGrory '39 won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary in 1975 for her articles about the Watergate Scandal. McGrory was on Richard Nixon's famed "enemies list."
Larry Bird filmed a commercial on the Emmanuel College campus in Fall 1985.
Emmanuel College leased a parcel of land to Merck Laboratories in 2001, making it the only college in the nation with a private pharmaceutical research facility right on campus.
Emmanuel College's Notre Dame Campus, acquired in 2012, is home to the William Lloyd Garrison House, the historic residence of the leader of Boston's anti-slavery cause.
OUTSpoken, Emmanuel College's first LGBTQ organization, was recognized by the Student Government Association in Spring 2012.
Barbara Walters gave the 1975 Commencement address, right before becoming the first female co-anchor of a network evening news (ABC) in 1976.
The Black Student Union (BSU) was established on campus in 1970.
Emmanuel College sponsored a teach-in on 11/20/77 organized by Sr. Rosaria Salerno in support of the anti-nuclear movement.
The word Emmanuel means "Our God With Us."
It cost riders 5 cents to take the T when Emmanuel opened in 1919. In 1960, riders paid 15 cents. In 1985, riders paid 90 cents.
Sr. Janet Eisner '63, SNDdeN is the longest serving woman president in U.S. higher education history. She was named Acting President in 1978 and inaugurated in 1979. She celebrates her 40th anniversary during the College's Centennial year.
In 1969, resident students voted 91% in favor of setting their own curfews in an intra-dormitory referendum.
The Emmanuel College Chapel windows depict seven women saints—Sts. Anne, Catherine, Elisabeth, Cecelia, Agnes, Theresa and Mary Magdalene—as well as the Madonna and child.
The Emmanuel College Chapel houses a golden crucifix and candlesticks purchased from Tiffany Studios in 1916.
Emmanuel students wrote a student "Bill of Rights" in 1970, presenting it to College leadership. A final version was approved by the Board of Trustees on December 9, 1972.
Emmanuel College opened the same year as Boston's Great Molasses Flood, when a holding tank burst and sent 2.3 million gallons of the sticky liquid sweeping through the streets of Boston.
Emmanuel College has had twelve presidents—all Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur—since 1919.
Since Emmanuel College opened its doors in 1919, our neighbors the Boston Red Sox have won four World Series Championships: All within the past 15 years.
Two-time Olympic figure skating medalist Nancy Kerrigan earned an associate's degree in business administration from Emmanuel College in 1993.
Emmanuel College was voted "Best School Spirit" in Boston for all five years the Boston A-List awarded the category 2011-2016.
Scenes from 2016 movies 'Ghostbusters' and 'Patriots Day' were filmed on the Emmanuel campus.
Emmanuel College hosted a "No Nukes" rally during the 1985-1986 school year.
Emmanuel students can create their own registered student organizations—including a Quidditch Team which recreated the famed Harry Potter sport on broomsticks.
Emmanuel College first joined Twitter in January 2009.
The author of 'Dead Man Walking,' Sr. Helen Prejean, CSJ, spoke at Emmanuel College in April 1996.
The first Founders Day was celebrated on 2/2/93, an annual tradition that continues on campus 26 years later.
Emmanuel College launched its first website during the 1994-1995 school year.
A Catholic Church Peace Conference was held at Emmanuel College in August 1986.
The Tabernacle Society, an Emmanuel student organization during World War II, created Mass kits to send to chaplains stationed overseas. The kits, according to Sr. Claire Julie, SNDdeN contained “everything but the altar boy.”
Emmanuel's longtime student newspaper, The Focus, was established with a seven-person editorial board in 1948.
Sisters began taking courses with traditional students in 1952, instead of on Saturdays, summer sessions or independent study sessions.
Emmanuel College announced a new undergraduate nursing program in 2018, joining already well-established RN-to-BSN and Master's in Nursing degree programs.
Feminist, activist and "The Feminine Mystique" author Betty Friedan spoke on campus in 1964.
Emmanuel Day—May 13, 1954—was declared by Boston Mayor John Hynes.
The Emmanuel College Art Department was established in 1952.
Student protests of campus cafeteria food in 1961 led to the creation of an on-campus coffee shop in 1962, run by neighborhood favorite Howard Yueh.
Social activist and Catholic Worker Movement co-founder Dorothy Day gave a talk on campus about the “Ethics for Peace" in 1964.
A formal academic faculty rank (i.e., instructor, assistant professor, associate professor and professor) system was established on campus during the 1967-1968 academic year.
Sr. Superior Adela du Sacre Coeur, SND, became the first president of Emmanuel College in 1919.
Emmanuel College welcomed its largest enrollment of new students—more than 650—in Fall 2018.
The landmark women's health book "Our Bodies, Ourselves" was born from the work of women who met at a women's liberation conference on the Emmanuel campus in 1969.
For the first time, during the 1966-1967 academic year, more residential (60%) than commuter (40%) students attended Emmanuel College.
80% of Emmanuel College students participate in community service during their time on campus, completing more than 50,000 hours of service annually.
Emmanuel College students joined other area college students in 1967 to aid migrant farmers’ struggle for unionization by supporting the grape boycott, led by Cesar Chavez, who later spoke on campus in 1969.
A Placement Bureau was established to provide alumnae guidance in entering the professional working world in 1935. The Bureau was a forerunner to today's Career Center which serves students and alumni.
Emmanuel College opened with 29 students as a day college on 9/19/1919.
The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur first purchased 11 acres in the Fenway Area in 1912.
The end-of-year clambake—now called the Clam(less) Bake—has been a tradition since at least the 1970s.
The Alumnae Association was founded on June 8, 1923 with the guidance of Sr. Helen Madeline Ingraham, SNDdeN.
The Black Student Union and allies marched to the President's Office and read a list of demands on 11/23/15 to address issues of racial insensitivity. The College responded with the creation of the President's Commission on Diversity & Inclusivity.
Emmanuel graduated its first class with A.B. and BLitt. Degrees on June 7, 1923.
Early Emmanuel College students in the 1920s and 1930s celebrated Baby Day—a day where first-year students dressed as young children and were led around by a Junior nurse.
The original Emmanuel College class ring was designed by Tiffany and featured a lapis lazuli stone set in gold.
450,000 bricks were used to build the new 18-story residence hall, which opened in Fall 2018.
St. James Hall was built as an extension to the west end of the Administration Building in 1957 to accommodate resident nuns.
Class of 1983 seniors could grab bleacher seats at Fenway Park for $3.
In 1967, the first lay members of Emmanuel College Board of Trustees, Henry W. Leen and John E. Sullivan, Jr., were elected.
In 2017, Emmanuel students could register for courses titled "Pirates, Rascals and Scoundrels" and "Chemistry of Fire and Explosives," among more traditional offerings.
'Til Tuesday—with lead vocalist Aimee Mann—performed at the 1984 Clambake.
Class of 1968 alumnae remember 7:30 p.m. curfews on weeknights and midnight on weekends for resident students.
Emmanuel's first students used to cut through Isabella Stewart Gardner's yard on their way to campus. The famous Bostonian would sometimes invite them to sit and chat, or would shout out the Red Sox score as they dashed past.
A Higher Education and Hispanic Women Conference was held on the Emmanuel campus in 1985.
In the 70's, residence halls had metal racks in their entries with cards upon which resident students "signed out," listing their destination and when they planned to return.
Dennis Lehane, bestselling author of novels including 'Gone Baby Gone,' 'Mystic River' and 'Shutter Island' gave the 2009 Commencement Address.
Physicist and novelist Camille Minchino '58 has written a number of popular science and mathematics mysteries, including the Professor Sophie Knowles series.
A number of Emmanuel College grads have worked at NASA, including Bertha Ryan '50, Janis Stoklosa '68 and Maura Hagan '75.
Emmanuel College has 16 NCAA Division III athletic teams, including basketball, soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, track & field and more.
Campus was hit with 27.1 inches in the Blizzard of ‘78.
2018 marks the eighth consecutive year Emmanuel College has had a student Fulbright recipient. The College was also named a "Top Producer of Fulbright U.S. Scholars" in 2016 for its number of Fulbright faculty scholars.
2,710 members of the Emmanuel community gave $4.7 million to support the College during the 2017-2018 academic year.
The Emmanuel College Dance Marathon has raised $593,071.23 for Boston Children's Hospital in its seven years as a student organization. Students dance for twelve straight hours straight overnight.
Senator Edward "Ted" M. Kennedy gave the 1969 Emmanuel College Commencement Address. His wife, lawyer Victoria Reggie Kennedy gave the Commencement Address in 2010.